Skip to main content

Lexington, Virginia

 As usual, plans change. I left Waynesboro 340 N Campground yesterday, August 16, in the rain, meaning all of my gear got put away wet. Waynesboro Cycle put tires on DR and I decided to head to Lexington. Had not gotten out to see any gravesites, so first stop was at the VMI to see the gravesite of General Robert E. Lee, which is located in the VMI chapel. Unfortunately, the chapel was closed, but will re-open today so I will stop there this morning. I was able to visit the Episcopal church on the campus, built, I believe, in 1854.

VMI is stunning. Huge, old, beautiful, imposing. A fortress of sorts, resisting the revisionism and insanity of our current culture.

After finding the Chapel closed, I rode to Oak Grove Cemetery in Lexington. Originally an Episcopal cemetery, it is now owned by the town. Fascinating and very quiet place, with graves dating back to the start of the country. This is where I found the grave of General Stonewall Jackson, as well as sites of many Civil War soldiers and soldiers and families dating back to the Revolution, and before. Well worth visiting, as is the town of Lexington, which contains many old structures. A beautiful place.

After visiting the cemetery, I headed to the Lexington/Natural Bridge KOA to camp for a couple of days.

There I met Richard and Joni travelling together up to Gettysburg, after which Richard will return to Florida and Joni will continue to Massachusetts and then through New England to Maine and into Canada. She then plans to head west and come back into the US at Sault St. Marie.

Richard is a safe riding instructor for Harley and rides all over the country at every opportunity. A virtual fount of information about motorcycle travel and Joni was just fired from her job, so immediately decided to do a 30 day road trip on her bike. I like the way she thinks!

Later in the evening, two more riders arrived in an adjacent campsite, Taz and Angel. Very nice people, Taz on a HD bagger and Angel riding a Can Am, which she is very happy with. 

So, a great night with some great conversation, and, it was a glorious thing: The rain stopped. Actually got a little ride in yesterday evening, touring Lexington with Richard and Joni, and the sun was out, a very welcome sight.

































Last two pictures are a couple of shots from the road on the way to Lexington. I liked the clouds.

Comments

  1. I still can’t figure how th get my name on my comments😂but I am enjoying following your escapades…..enjoy! Signed Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touch Enter Comment. Then touch Anonymous. A drop down will open with three choices. The bottom coice is blank. Touch it and you will be able to enter your name

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment