Skip to main content

The Last Bivouac

 Well, barring an unforeseen disaster, I will close on my new domicile tomorrow afternoon. That makes tonight the final night camping and the official end of my retirement trip.

11 months, 33,000 miles and a bunch of states. It has been, literally, a trip of a lifetime. I met a lot of wonderful people, gained a whole new perspective on the country's geography, experienced nature in a way that I am sure I will never forget, and learned that the one thing necessary to overcome adversity is perseverance. I know now that the Stoics were right: "The obstacle is the way". The trick is correctly identifying the obstacle...

And I have a bundle of people to thank for all of the assistance with medical problems, help with my bike, meals, a place to sleep, issues with my mail and taxes, an address to keep the government happy, and much more. So, "Thank you" to everyone for your help and encouragement.

I still plan to ride to Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin, but I think of that as part of the new adventure I am starting.  And, now I am going to doze off to sleep listening to a very familiar sound.... yep, it's raining...





Comments

  1. It's been fun to vicariously "Ride" along through your adventures. I'm anxious to see your new dwelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith Shedron05 May, 2023 09:58

      Me too! Last night, sleeping in the tent was rough.

      Delete
  2. Mega congrats Keith on having the fortitude to complete your (nearly every adjective available) trip of a lifetime! While others can dream, you can remember.
    And welcome to the ranks of homeowners! Am trusting our amazing God all went well at signing.
    Wraparound Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was an experience, and I learned some things from it. Have to be persistent. Actually looking forward to get everything squared away here and hitting the road again. Always more to see!

      Delete

Post a Comment